Will he make it from North Carolina to Oregon?

Monday, June 28, 2010

Sturgis, SD

I've made it throught the Badlands!  South Dakota's Badlands National Park was one of my primary goals - and boy, was it worth it.  You can't capture the idea of it from the photos - for 30 miles through the park, there isn't a view that isn't scenic.  I can't really add anything to the views, I'll just say that the grin didn't leave my face fromt he time I pedaled in to the park until the time I pedaled out.  It's beautiful.

The fact that this begins so suddenly after so much flatish area, only makes it more startling and dramatic.  You can see after the peaks here the long, flat plains in the distance.

Bad news, Sarah.  The prarie dog colonies are infested with the Sylvatic Plague or some such thing, I won't be strapping any on to my luggage.




Just before going into the Badlands, I heard that there was going to be a night blast on the Crazy Horse monument on the 26th, so I picked up the pace.

The Black Hills are nice... but they're a lot like North Carolina's mountains.  Except they have things carved into them.

I bet you recognize these guys...

I got to Rushmore in the late afternoon on the 26th.  I think I left the monument around 7:00, and needed to get to crazy horse before dark.  After having done almost 300 miles in the previous 3 days, I was wiped out, and still hadat least 15 miles to go through very mountainous country.   I was praying like a madman - PLEASE don't let me have come this far this fast and miss the blast!   Give me a tailwind!  How about some downhills?  A little more daylight?

And it worked.  Honestly, there's no way I should've made it to Crazy Horse that evening, but I arrived just in time for the festivities to start.

My video of the night blast is terrible, but fortunately someone better with a camera has already put it on YouTube!  There was an interesting laser show leading up to the explosions, and the fireballs all over the mountain.  It was quite the spectacle.

Afterwards, there was birthday cake in celebration of Ruth's (wife of the original sculptor, and the woman who's held the project together) birthday.

I'm off - since I'm out of time at the library, but I'll try to add to this soon!


And yes, for those of you familiar with South Dakota, I did get some Free Ice Water at Wall Drug!

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoy reading your Blog. I worry too but I do envy you the experience. Since I only recently saw some of these sights myself, it's like enjoying them all over again. Much Love Meme

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is cool to look at your pictures and recognize all of the places we have been over the past several days. Though, I must say, while it is more expensive, a RV has got to be so much easier and safer. :) It was a pleasure meeting you Max! I am glad you made it to Crazy Horse just in time too and decided to get cake. Enjoy the rest of your journey! God bless, Steph

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome pictures, thanks for sharing, I see you made it to Niobrara the reason I know that you were featured on the front page of their newspaper. I grew up in Niobrara, it is beautiful country. I miss it a lot. Keep blogging, I am interested in viewing and hearing more about your travels. God Bless..

    ReplyDelete